We are open for contest submissions (for Issue 21, due out May 2019).
When we reopen for normal submissions in a month or two, note that our minor fee ($2) exists for what we think is a killer reason: not only do our contest winners get paid, but all our authors get paid (no less than $40).
- We publish contemporary literary fiction and poetry.
- (Literary does not imply ‘realism’ or that we won’t happily consider genre-based work.)
- Never previously published.
- Submissions: one story at a time, up to five poems.
- Fiction: we’ll happily consider longer pieces, but we rarely go beyond 5000 words.
- We nominate what we consider our strongest works for inclusion in the Pushcart Prize anthology.
- Authors receive free contributor copies and a discount on additional copies.
- We receive first North American Serial rights; after, all rights revert to author (online samples are only put up with author permission).
- We only accept submissions via our online system; snail-mail submissions will be recycled.
We usually take 3-6 months (sometimes longer, sorry!) in responding to submissions, but we give everything a good read. For submissions we’re using Submittable — thanks to the makers there and their great system.