Bypass the primary and secondary navigation and continue reading the main body of the page

“We, You and I,” by Conor Teevan, issue 16

11/27/21: Into the Archives: staff member Sara Winsky on Conor Teevan’s “We, You and I,” issue #16

In issue number sixteen of Prism Review, the piece “We, You and I” stands out as notable among many other of the published works. I feel the reputation of this journal is along the lines of publishing realist wonders of the human experience. This piece by Conor Teevan seems to match this concept quite well.

Stringing devastation with an airy tone, one that matches the feeling of losing one’s breath, this short story features a couple in a tempestuous relationship. Becoming pregnant, this woman character is written to be reliant on the support of her spouse, from which he struggles to own up to what she needs throughout. Told in articulate prose, every sentence seems to contribute to the theme of the fleetingness of life.

Much of the prose written is detailed and chosen to craft a specific tone regarding the relationship between the two main characters. Lines such as “I was convinced it wasn’t a coincidence because it seemed so right, the way the light warmed the room, like the heavens were blessing our conversation in a doctor’s office” create a picture and feeling for the reader in only one sentence. This mastery of written language is seen throughout the entire piece. Teevan uses repetition in specific details leading to an overall message which is most noticeably the use of the word “we.” The author makes “we” become both a simple word and a complex concept. This word is used repeatedly throughout when regarding different groups of people: the couple, the mother and baby, the coworkers, etc. This would be less noticeable if it wasn’t part of the concluding impact of the piece. The conclusion of the piece brings an end to this repetition of “we” with a strong impact by writing “So there we sat looking at each other, not saying anything, smiling. Like I said, it was nothing special. Just the first time we were we, you and I.”

“We, You and I” is a piece that tells of heartbreak, betrayal, devastation, joy, trust, and love in a mere four and a half pages. Every word and sentence is carefully chosen and crafted to impact the reader and keep them on their toes. This became incredibly impactful for myself personally, because I felt it really relayed well the feelings of heartbreak without really breaking physical distance. It seemed to take romantic heartbreak stereotypes and turn them on their head, becoming a piece that strays from the norm and impacts the reader emotionally.